Monday, March 19, 2012

Old Favorite

What do you do when you are coming off of Spring break, a week where you didn't cook a single meal (and reheating leftovers doesn't count, since I'm being honest) and you barely got to the grocery store?!!?

You pull out an 'Old Favorite', a trusted family favorite recipe... kinda like going to your trusty relief pitcher in the bottom of the 8th and the bases are loaded with no outs!!! Well, for me it was more like it was 4:15p on Open House Night at school and I wanted, no needed something to cook fast so we could be there by 6:30p and out by 7p!!
I got this cookbook from a dear friend almost 10 years ago...
Sorry the picture is sideways... bad picture taking on my part!
I have used this recipe so much since the first time I tasted it at the Kirkpatrick's house one night... long, long ago.. BEFORE KIDS!!! <gasp> Now, that is a long time ago.... what did we even do before kids?? And why was I cooking??? We should have been going out to eat.... in fancy restaurants! Ha... I digress! Moving on...
Here is the recipe: Family Pleasing Chicken... with a name like that, you know it's good!!
It only calls for like 7 ingredients... These 4 are pretty much staples in our house! And chicken breasts... I always have chicken on hand in Casa de Lewis!
And the last ingredient calls for sour cream, but I tried this instead...
Couldn't even detect a hint of difference... and was like half the calories of real sour cream!! Bonus!

I tried looking online for the link to the recipe, but since it's from the dark ages of 2001... I couldn't find it! Basically you cook the chicken breasts (3-6 pieces based on your family size), mix in a can of cream of chicken soup and 8 oz. of sour cream or Fage, sprinkle with poppy seeds. Before putting it in your oven at 350 for 30 minutes, you cover the top of the mixed chicken with a sleeve of crumbled up ritz crackers that have 2 tbsp. of melted butter mixed in them! Once baked it is really yummy... 'family pleasing' yummy!!!

It is a Lewis favorite, for sure!!! And got us in and out of Open House with time to spare :)))

Always - Abbey

1 comment:

  1. Lisa Houchin made this for me after I had Rustin. She said you had made it for her when she had Olivia. It was so amazing that I got the recipe from her. We LOVE this dish!!

    ReplyDelete